Do you have an article or video to add to the collection?
• Raised garden beds: hugelkultur instead of irrigation
• Celebrate the Three Sisters: Corn, Beans and Squash
It all started with an article my wife brought to my attention. It was about growing potatoes in burlap bags. As it turned out, the day before I saw a video on starting potatoes slips indoors. So this got my curiosity up and going. But how do you do it? What kind of potatoes should you grow? Why should you grow potatoes? So come along with me as I educate myself on these questions.
Why should I even bother to grow potatoes?
The first thought that comes to mind is how little room they can take up. We are going to use burlap bags, the size of a common bucket. Potatoes also are easy to keep for a long time, much long than other produce.
• Click here for tips on how to keep potatoes from rotting.
• How to Store potatoes by Jonathanwallace (this is a great video on storage)
Potatoes are cheap, why bother growing them?
• I will grow potatoes for a couple of main reason. I know where my food comes from. I know the soil used, what was used on it and where they came from.
• Just in time shipping. If the “monkey throws poo at the fan”, then I have some food on hand. I am not 100% dependent on the local market to save my backside.
• The knowledge of growing potatoes. Things that seem simple turn complicated when we first try them. Now is the time to try. Continue reading
This podcast is not done in the usual way. I stepped away from the computer and used an app on my phone. Let me know what you think. Also, I worked on this Thursday, so I did talk about the comet that hit Russia, but I will include some good videos. Take care and enjoy. Running time: 49.16
Jan: We start with a hot debate on gun issues and handful of earthquakes. One point ½ country was warm while the other was cold. Strange booms were going on for days. And Australia was a blaze. Continue reading