what is Rewild Portland?
why the raccoon?
• Earth Skills Are Easy is a series of one day workshops on earth skills also referred to as “primitive skills”, “ancestral skills”, “survival skills”, or “bush craft”.
Stone Tool Kit: Leather Footwear Flint-Napping
Post-Apocalyptic Survival Summer Camp
Raccoon Youth Academy
Tandy Leather Factory
Support the Cause
Learn How You Can Help
Video on how you can help: Continue reading
Podcast: Play in new window
It all started with an article my wife brought to my attention. It was about growing potatoes in burlap bags. As it turned out, the day before I saw a video on starting potatoes slips indoors. So this got my curiosity up and going. But how do you do it? What kind of potatoes should you grow? Why should you grow potatoes? So come along with me as I educate myself on these questions.
Why should I even bother to grow potatoes?
The first thought that comes to mind is how little room they can take up. We are going to use burlap bags, the size of a common bucket. Potatoes also are easy to keep for a long time, much long than other produce.
• Click here for tips on how to keep potatoes from rotting.
• How to Store potatoes by Jonathanwallace (this is a great video on storage)
Potatoes are cheap, why bother growing them?
• I will grow potatoes for a couple of main reason. I know where my food comes from. I know the soil used, what was used on it and where they came from.
• Just in time shipping. If the “monkey throws poo at the fan”, then I have some food on hand. I am not 100% dependent on the local market to save my backside.
• The knowledge of growing potatoes. Things that seem simple turn complicated when we first try them. Now is the time to try. Continue reading
To reduce space on my website, I have decided to round up all of the videos I have posted last year and put them here. If you find yourself on a plane, train or automobile, I hope you remember this post. There are well over 100 hours of videos!! If there is a video subject you would like to see on the website, please let me know.
Bear Grllys Video
Bear Grylls Worst Case Scenario—Physical attack
Bear Grylls Worst Case Scenario—Brakes out
Bear Grylls Worst Case Scenario – Earthquake
Bear Grylls Worst Case Scenario: Downed Power lines Continue reading
Shelter varies from the place we call home; to the inside of a doorway on a cold raining night. People spend more on their shelter, than others make in a lifetime. When it comes to disasters/emergencies we need to be able to adapt or die. I will walk you through the levels of shelter to help you understand the concept that it is more than meets the eye.
You mind is the first tool you will use in finding/building shelter. How strong is your will to live? How do you deal with cold and hot weather? Do you understand the environment you are in at the time of the situtation? Have you ever watched videos on how to make shelter? Have you made a shelter before?
In the right environment all of this questions could be mean the difference between life and death.
Next, the colthes you wear will be of great importance. How many people went out for a stroll and assumed they would not need anything else. How many of those people died? If your lost and it’s dark, try to find leaves or anything of value you can stick in your shirt. In a pinch it will add extra layers. Continue reading